Saturday, June 16, 2007

Lott: "Talk Radio Is Running America."

In another sign that GOP Senate leadership is buckling to the pressure from questions on the Senate amnesty bill, Mississippi Senator Trent Lott blasted talk radio. I say buckling because it seems that Lott had nowhere else to turn and couldn't find blame in himself or his peers in the Senate who support this horrible amnesty package. The New York Times has quoted him saying, “Talk radio is running America. We have to deal with that problem.” The blog Ankle Biting Pundits adds to the above: “I’m sure senators on both sides of the aisle are being pounded by these talk-radio people who don’t even know what’s in the bill,” Lott said. He added that the “leadership will have to be prepared to do what needs to be done.”
At some point, Mr. Lott said, Senate Republican leaders may try to rein in “younger guys who are huffing and puffing against the bill.”


I don't know what to say about Trent Lott. I won't even address him as Senator here. He has sold out the middle class American citizens, and especially conservatives. Therefore, he isn't worthy of a honorable title, in my opinion. The above quotes show him to be absolutely naive. Either that, or he is an absolute idiot.

Talk radio running America? That is a new one on me. Hollywood seems to have more of an influence on American life. Personally, I would take talk radio hands-down over the leftist, nasty influence of the Hollywood establishment. Lott probably isn't planning to run again, but even still, he has endangered his respect in the state he represents and for most of America's conservatives.

I can now see perhaps why Bill Frist was ready to oppose Trent Lott for Majority Leader. Frist had his own problems, namely with last year's amnesty bill. However, Frist probably could see the incompetence of Lott, which the man from Mississippi has shown in these statements.

Side note: For those, such as myself, who are not fond of cursing, excuse the cursing on the 'Ankle Biting Pundits' link. I do not support that, although I certainly can't blame the writer there for his strong anger. I am furious and frustrated by Lott's comments myself.

No comments: