Tuesday, January 22, 2008

MY THIRD PRESIDENTIAL ENDORSEMENT

I am now about to announce my third endorsement of the 2008 Presidential election. I originally backed Colorado Congressman Tom Tancredo in the fall of 2005. As spring 2007 budded through, Former Tennessee Senator Fred Thompson looked more like a serious contender, so I saw the wisdom in switching my support to another statesman with a better shot at the White House. I moved my endorsement to Mr. Thompson last April, and worked to help his campaign. Mr. Tancredo eventually dropped out in mid-December. I am still a strong supporter of both men, highly respect them, and hope that they continue to influence public policy in the way of the conservative movement.
With the withdrawal of Mr. Thompson from the race for the White House Tuesday afternoon, I am now in a position where I must go to my third candidate.
I am not going to my third candidate holding my nose. I believe he can hold the conservative mantle pretty high if elected. I will confess that I had serious questions about this gentleman until recent months. I still have a few questions about him, but that is likely with all candidates. This man especially recently gained my respect after a strong speech on faith in Texas several weeks ago, and after he was endorsed by Mr. Tancredo upon the Congressman's withdrawal before Christmas. He is well-versed in business and economics, which are crucial issues facing America at this time. His career is a great record of business success. He is a turnaround expert. He helped to provide the funds for such popular brands as Staples, Domino's Pizza, and Burger King. He led the turnaround of the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics, bringing the games from near bankruptcy to a profit. His salary from that effort was donated to charity. I believe a crucial element of a President is leadership. That is why business leaders and governors are excellent candidates for the Presidency. They have to make decisions legislators don't. Executives, both business and in government, have to make the tough moves, select the right people and show the example that legislators can get away with. Good and successful executives are already leaders. This gentleman has proven to be a successful leader.
This gentleman understands the danger of Islamofacism. He understands that American traditional values are under attack. He understands that our health care system must be more affordable, but government should not take it over. He understands that our education system must be stronger, and that will lead to America once again being strongly competitive in the global marketplace. He understands that illegal immigration is gravely endangering America, and that amnesty is not the answer. This is a foundational reason why Mr. Tancredo endorsed him. He understands America must continue to hold a strong military. He is married to his high-school sweetheart, has five sons, and is led by his faith.
I believe that this gentleman, not only can be elected, but will be a Reagan-style leader when elected.
Ladies and gentlemen, it is for these reasons that I announce that I endorse for President of the United States, Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney.

No comments: